Sunday, April 10, 2011

The pillars of Magyar society: Turo and the right to demonstrate

Day 8: Yikes, what do we have here?!?


I hate that I have to choose from a million pictures when it's the weekend, 'cos I just have so many more to choose from, but oh well!

What do I have on offer today? Just your friendly neighbourhood demonstration/rally/protest march with all of Europe in attendance. We Pest-ians stumble upon these on a regular basis, but Hungary's presidential debut in the European Parliament does seem to have upped the rally ante!

The 'rendőrség' were out in all their glory, but the riot police were missing in action - not that I'm complaining - they give me the jitters!



Day 7: Colour me spotted


Look what I found peeking at me from the shelves at Spar today - 'marcipánnal turo pont'. It definitely sounds and looks like the humble 'natur turo rudi's' long lost and very wealthy cousin from the erstwhile Habsburg dynasty. The verdict - two 'ponts' (which is what you get when you buy one pack) is one 'pont' too many. This on here is a little too decadent for my tastebuds, had too much marzipan and too little turo so it's back to the original for now.

Rumour has it though that there is a limited edition 'mákos meggyes turo rudi' doing the rounds.....watch this space for more.

For the uninitiated, turo rudi is a snack, dessert or even breakfast and undoubtedly the best thing to come out of Hungary and describing it just wouldn't do it any justice. You gotta try it!

No comments: